Journal Entries

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gadget Girl?


Most people afflicted with my fear of flying would have the good sense to stay home. But noooo, my love of travel has the deciding vote with 51% ownership of my body and I’m forced to power through my fears each time I embark on an adventure.


I’m often asked the question, “but doesn’t it get easier?”

Nope. Nyet. Nein.


But once I land safely on terra firma, my spirit comes back to life like a rehydrated sea-monkey. You see, I crave art and museums and attending the theater and glimpsing different cultures and collecting unexpected dining experiences. I like trying new things, listening to live music and gawking at unusual architecture, something other than strip malls and chain stores. I love learning and am so dang curious.



People have commented that I’m an old soul, but I don’t buy it. Everything still seems brand new to me and just about everything surprises me, including new fangled technology. Before this trip, I would have told you that I was not a gadget girl, but now I must contradict myself.

You see, three years ago, in February of 2008, Kimmmm and I went to New York for my birthday. We each had a camera and that was it. I called Groom each evening from the house we were staying (flat rate phone plan), to catch up on our days and say goodnight.


This time, when Kimmm joined us in New York during Fashion Week this February it was a whole new game. She and I were each carrying our cameras for the “arty/documentary” shots, but that wasn’t enough. Without saying a word, we each proceeded to whip out our Smart Phones so we could take pictures to post on Facebook and our respective blogs. We were uploading this, sharing that and it required twice as long to shoot anything. And we texted each other on the days we weren’t together or during the times were planning to meet up.

Three years ago life was simpler. I didn’t have a cell phone, didn’t know what a blog was and Facebook what?

On the subway rides home, I noticed how many people now had cords coming out of their ears, wires hanging down from their faces in the shape of a Y, connected to their mp3 players. I was kind of mentally making fun of how plugged in everybody was until I realized that I had my iPod with me. Pulling it out and sticking the buds into my ears, I was soon rocking back and forth, lulled by the rhythm of the train and relaxing with my personal music choices.

And speaking of choices, traveling often presents a dilemma for me - physical comfort or spiritual renewal? At home, I can select clothes and shoes from my closet which are appropriate for the weather and context and I can leave heavy items in the car if need be.


Living out of a suitcase, however, I must wear what I packed and once we left our Brooklyn Brownstone for the day I was stuck with whatever I put on. This included my coat, hat, gloves, shoes, bag and camera. If I wanted to bring anything else with me, I had to carry it all day.


We quickly discovered there were only two temperatures in New York this visit, icy cold or sizzling hot. As it was below freezing most of the time, we had to bundle up, but riding the subway was very warm and there was neither room nor time to disrobe to the comfort level in between stops. And buildings, including our apartment, were heated with the old fashioned steam heat. One temperature: sauna.

I describe all this because while traveling, from suffering the airplane nerves to the aching muscles, tired bones, heavy clothing, and sweaty chills, I was physically uncomfortable the entire time. My head and forehead itched from wearing wool hats every day, my skin rebelled from dehydration and wearing cosmetics, my innards seized into a stubborn ball, well, you get the idea.


But, but, but my spirit was so happy! My internal being soaked up the environment like a sponge, absorbing the pulsing electricity that is New York City, while my external being felt every bruise, knot and irritant.

When I return home, I am suddenly physically at ease again. I can sleep in my own bed, snuggle with my kitty kitty and blissfully return to comforting routines, yet…I am looking at the same old pit in the ground across from the library, the same kids spitting and swearing on the corner, the same dudes holding cardboard signs.

Hmmm, physical comfort or spiritual renewal? I guess that’s why I love going away and love coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment