Journal Entries

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Let Them Eat Cupcakes

The vendor across the way at the Eugene Holiday Market makes these giant cupcakes. Only they are made of candle wax. Lately I feel like I’m burning the cupcake at both ends.

Yesterday, Kimmmm and I went out on a girlie date for her birthday. Coincidentally, she chose a delightful bakery that serves gluten-free, can you guess? Cupcakes! The slender boy behind the counter began his recitation of flavors, but he only got as far as “chocolate lavender,” before both us of said yes at the same time. Jinx.

Unfortunately, he meant two different flavors, one being chocolate and the other lavender. I was momentarily disappointed, my tastebuds excited to try something exotic and new. However, memories of a lavender mousse shared at an outdoor café in Provence, France, inspired me to select the purple cupcake.

This was not a well thought out decision. It looked good. I peeled back the biodegradable paper liner and sank my fangs into the spongy confection. Uh-oh, it tasted exactly like I was biting into my microwavable heat pack.

You see, it’s kind of chilly at our house during the winter, so to keep warm I use a lavender/flax seed filled neck pillow, the scent of which is activated each time I heat it. Experts say smell is the number one access to memory and all I could think of when nibbling my cupcake was that I might be sleep-eating my neck pillow! Yeah, it didn’t taste good to me.

After I tried to scrub my tongue and then wash away the association with a strong cup of coffee, we went to The Bijou to watch Heartbreaker, a French comedy starring Johhny Depp’s wife, Vanessa Paridis.


















And as if that little vignette about choosing the wrong cupcake wasn’t enough excitement for one day, here’s a photo or two (or three) of our latest jewelry pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I have always wondered what your heat pack tasted like, so it was great to check that one off the Bucket List! Maybe next time we can find out what my flax seed pillow tastes like. There's a good chance of that in the world of gluten free "confections"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are missing my cupcakes!

    Your necklaces have progressed to a new and absolutely fantastic place!!! "Sing" indeed!

    ReplyDelete