Journal Entries

Friday, April 15, 2011

April Showers



April has fangs. The month, not a person. When I consider the fourth month of our calendar year, pastel colors, fragile blossoms and fragrant raindrops spring to mind. And kittens. Kittens with razor sharp teeth and knife-like claws that slash and bite. The fantasy of April is much kinder than the reality. 

First of all, the weather is completely unpredictable, mood swinging from twinges of sun to petulant clouds to downright nasty skin-soaking rain and revengeful hail. Apparently I am not alone in my suspicions of April, as T.S. Eliot once wrote, "April is the cruellest month." And my hunch unfortunately was correct, April statistics reveal it is also the month with the highest suicide rate.

So far, April has been an over-the-top month for many people we know, fraught with health issues, heart break, and unfortunately, anniversaries of suicide. I'm not intending to be dark or morbid, in fact, quite the opposite. When all is swirling and overwhelming, it's important to remember to breathe.

And while remembering to breathe, I was inspired to make this over-the-top necklace. Like I've said before, my philosophy about emotions is to decorate them with food and art. I've done the art part, now it's time for dinner.   



  

1 comment: