Journal Entries

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Luck of the Irish


Top o’ the morning to ya.

Today is St. Patrick’s Day, a day the Irish have been celebrating for over 1,000 years. When I think of March 17th, images of shamrocks, leprechauns, rainbows and pots o’ gold spring to mind. And wearing green of course so as not to get pinched, and kissing the blarney stone for eloquence.

Growing up, Groom thought he was Irish as people were always putting an “O” in front of his name and volunteering him for things. “Oh, Don’ll do this, Oh, Don’ll do that.” Yep, he thought his name was O’Donnell.

In the spirit of the day, here’s a bit of Irish wit and wisdom.

You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your Grandfather was. – Irish Saying

All money is tainted, tain’t none of it mine. – Thomas Francis McGuire

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted. – Soccer superstar George Best

Sign on a Kinsale, Ireland shop: Out for lunch. If not back by five, out for dinner also.

I often take exercise. Only yesterday I had breakfast in bed. - Oscar Wilde

A limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.


I gave up women and alcohol – it was the worst twenty minutes of my life. – George Best (again)


Yes, but do Leprechauns believe in you?

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment