Journal Entries

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blowout on I-105


Yesterday we blew a tire on the highway. In the 20 years of being on the road traveling for our business, this has never occurred, and it happened just a few blocks from where we live. The quirkier things got the more blessed we became. How does that work?

Thank God for cell phones and AAA! With a tow truck on its way, Groom and I squeezed out of the vehicle and stood in the median to wait as people refused to slow down even with a stranded vehicle blocking one lane. They zoomed past, some swerving last second. What, were they texting and didn’t notice a completely stopped vehicle with its hazard lights on??

A police officer responding to another call rolled up behind us with his flashing lights and officially blocked the lane. Huge sigh of relief! But as he approached the vehicle, I was momentarily concerned he was going to give us a ticket for interrupting traffic or standing in the middle of the highway or breaking some other law.

Immediately another car experienced a flat right across from us, stopping traffic in her lane. At this point, the three lane highway was reduced to a single lane during rush hour. With the addition of a second police officer on the scene, gawkers from the opposite side of the freeway slowed oncoming traffic to a crawl. In other words, traffic was affected in both directions. Oh, the joys of being a temporary spectacle.

Next, an ODOT (Oregon Department of Transportation) truck magically appeared with its flashing lights, cones and arrows. The scene just kept getting bigger. The opinions of the police officer, the ODOT gentleman and the tow truck guys were that it hardly ever happens that two vehicles in the same stretch of road at the same time get flat tires unless somebody has purposely thrown or accidentally dropped sharp blowey-outy tire things.

With the addition of the ODOT truck, the police officer helping us was able to give Groom a ride home because we had a client waiting on our front steps for a design consultation, wondering why we had stood her up. I tried to walk home earlier but the policeman would not allow me to put myself and other motorists at risk by walking down the highway. Hey, I was just trying to keep my appointment.

Since I was the one with the AAA card, I then waited by myself for the towers. When they had the van safely loaded on the truck bed, I was able to talk them into stopping at our house, helping me unload the van full of groceries (picture the frozen foods starting to melt), and then take Groom to Les Schwab for new tires. Yes, we definitely tipped them for their kindness and willingness to go the extra step.

I then was able to design a pair of earrings for a woman who is leaving for Europe next week.

Before, Groom and I believed that someone being blessed meant that nothing disruptive ever happens to them. But after this experience, we have a new definition. While I was scared for a little bit, I mean, it is unnerving to suddenly stop mid-high speed traffic, everyone was safe and we were immediately taken care of by AAA, the police, ODOT, the helpful towers, and they made it to Les Schwab just before closing time at 6pm. Everyone was kind, understanding and we have brand new tires.

So perhaps being blessed means all’s well that ends well.



2 comments: