Journal Entries

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Viva Mexico - Uh-oh, Where's My Purse?


When we first found out we were going to Mexico and excitedly told people about it, their first reactions across the board were, “You’re going where? Why?” Everyone warned us about the potential dangers, but we felt at peace and figured most of the current trouble involved the border towns.


Puerto Vallarta is a tourist destination and is located in the middle of the coast line. We were not driving there, but arriving by air. Now I’ll ask you to take a close look at this first photo of me. Do you notice my expression? What do you think I might be thinking or feeling at the moment Groom snapped this shot?


I was shocked when I saw it, because at the time I was thrilled. We had just discovered this gorgeous restaurant called Le Bistro situated along the river not far from the ocean. It was the perfect fusion of all things Frenchy dropped in the middle of Mexico. It was elegant, charming and a delightful mix of two things I adore: France and the tropics.

So I was in heaven, blissed out and this is what my face looks like?? Yes folks, apparently this is my happy face. So, imagine if you will what my getting-on-the-airplane expression must be. For those of you not familiar, I do not care for any mode of transportation except for walking. Flying for me is one of the scariest things ever. I get verrrry quiet, practically shut down. Most flight attendants ask me if it’s my first time flying as they walk down the narrow aisle checking if seatbelts are on and trays are in the upright position.

This time, our flight attendant brought me wine from first class without even asking. She could tell I needed “medicine.” I tell you this because scary rumors about Mexico could not compare to my anxiety about flying. Once we landed safely, I felt like a fiesta!

Yesterday I wrote about leaving my purse on a bench along the Malecon. I had taken it off for the briefest of moments while posing for a picture (vanity is a cruel mistress) and forgot to retrieve it. You can actually see the moment when I am putting it down.

A little bit later, having gone further along the boardwalk, I noticed something felt different. When I realized my purse was gone, which contained everything – money, credit card, passport identification, drivers license – well, suffice it to say I had a bit of an apoplectic tizzy. Panic, fretting, looking around, images of identity theft and not being able to return home, left stranded without funds, being financially wiped out flashed through my mind in a nanosecond.

Retracing my steps, it finally occurred to me where I had left it. Waddling swiftly, I came upon the bench and dare you guess? It was still there! A man came up to me and told me he was watching it and was on the lookout for me. Isn’t that incredible? Nothing was touched. Everything was still in there.


I felt safer everyday in Mexico than I do my own neighborhood. I took this photo of a “predator set” which is a fancy term for security windows. We have ours at home covered in predator sets because our special location in downtown Eugene requires it. I could never imagine leaving my purse somewhere around here and having it still be safe and intact when and if I found it.


The people we met while there were very unhappy with the bad press Mexico has been getting. Businesses have been hit hard and the economy is suffering. Everyone asked us to assure people back home that most places in Mexico are safe, especially Puerto Vallarta. The crime rate is astonishingly low, practically non-existent. So, if it has ever crossed your mind to take a trip, now is an excellent time.

I’ll see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment